Where Do You Want To Go?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This 'n that.

There are a squillion things to write about, mainly of a Fable-centric nature:

- Under the supervision and guidance of my dear friend and pastor, John, I'm learning to rebuild and tune pianos. (That's his primary business.) This is MORE than enjoyable for me. Pianos are intricate and deserve a lot of respect. Beautiful instruments.

- My job at the theatre is going well. It's insanely busy, though. And requires an exceptional amount of energy, both physically and creatively. Teaching the class requires a lot of acting in itself, as the kids expect you to be engaging and interesting all the time. I'm teaching six classes with three units of "Jungle Book" and three of "Peter Pan." I'm burning out a little on the energy front, and hoping that my schedule is less hectic next semester. However, the summer looks even busier, since I'll be teaching full-time, directing both "Aristocrats" and "The Wizard of Oz." Hoping I can keep my head in the game.

- Fable continues to be an utter delight. She has added, "Fsssh" (fish), "Beebeees" (babies), "Baawl" (ball), and last but not least, "Boobs" to her vocabulary. (Yes. Yes, I did teach my daughter the vernacular term for "breasts." It's a long story.)

- Fable has turned into quite the snuggler, proving once and for all that she is my daughter. (No maternity tests needed here, folks!) She hurls herself into your arms with the joyful abandonment innate only in children. The glee alight on her face would be enough to power whole cities.

- Relatedly: I find that what I love the most about motherhood, above all other things, is the privilege of being party to Fable's sincerity. When she is happy, she is fully immersed in happiness. When she is hurt or angry or sad, she embodies those feelings. It's such a profound thing to witness.

- My sweet and lovely sister-in-law is due to have her baby boy, Elliott, in just a few weeks. So excited for her and her husband. They were made to be parents.

- Fable had her first ever stay at day-care today. It was slightly poignant, but my nostalgic reveries of days spent putzing about our house playing with "beebees" was interrupted by my urgent need to get to class. I collected her two hours later, and any feelings of guilt I had about putting her in childcare were left by the wayside when I saw that chubby, smiling face covered in graham cracker, both hands waving ecstatically at me upon retrieval. The facility she attends is a good one. They write a full report of your child's daily activities, and document her demeanor throughout the day. She seems to love it, and I'm glad with the arrangement, too.

- I've been hitting the gym harder later, which is a relief I cannot describe. I feel, for some reason, that going to the gym is for people who are much more "Type A" than I am. But I have always loved going to the gym, always preferred working out indoors rather than out, and I feel 100% better about life after a trip to the gym.

- Our family had to put down our dear companion, Buster, after 14 years of loyal friendship. I'm tremendously averse to communal grieving, so I wasn't there when the mobile vet visited Buster. But it was hard, nonetheless. It's so strange how attached we can grow to animals, but it also makes perfect sense, I think. It sounds so silly to express sadness over losing a pet, but it was about as real a loss as any human loss I have ever experienced.

Those are the happenings in the Mauss family at the moment. It's quiet lately. So much better than all the commotion we're accustomed to. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers