Where Do You Want To Go?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pooh Bear Can't Touch This.



Photo blitz! Turn down the lights and turn on the disco ball. These photos are of one of my favorite family bonding outings in the history of family. Well, this family, at least. Meh, probably your family, too. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...


Fable's First Movie!


Now, if you're an astute observer, you've probably noticed by now that this is not a photo of my child with popcorn in hand, gearing up for her first movie. What this IS is a photo of my child in a diaper, throwing her head back in wild exultation as her daddy narrowly avoids getting splashed in the face. Read on, confused friends. Read on.

A few weeks ago, we hitched up the horse and buggy and went into town to see Fable's first theatre movie! We didn't really know what to expect from her, since she's as unpredictable as a toddler running on a full tank of Juicey Juice. (I s'pose that's always sort of true for her, given that she's a toddler normally touting a juice box...) We *intended* to see the new Winnie the Pooh flick. You know, the one all the teenagers are flipping out about. I say that we *intended* to see it because Fable had developed an entirely different agenda by the time we got there. About ten minutes into the movie, she decided that she was going to sit on the floor. After the allure of that wore off, she decided she was going to take that opportunity to try drinking from a can of smuggled soda, which has never gone well in the past-- let alone in a dark movie theatre. Things pretty much spiraled downhill from there. There was running up and down the stairs. There were whispered promises of candy if she would sit still. There were scowls from the family in front of us-- which, might I add, consisted of three adults and no children. Explain to me how that's normal. Anyway, there were tears. My, how there were tears! It all came to a head when Fable *demanded* that I put her in time out. I kid you not. The exchange between mother and daughter went something like this:

F: "Mommy, outside!"
M: "Fable, no, we have to stay in here and watch the movie!"
F: "OUTSIDE!"
M: "Fable, do you need to go to time out?"
F: "Mommy, Bebo need to go time out. Bebo need to go outside."

And so now you see how I set myself up for that one. With about 15 minutes to spare, Doug granted Fable's wish. He took her outside, leaving me in peace to watch the final riveting moments of Pooh Bear's great adventure. But apparently the fun to be had was waiting for me outside, where Doug had stripped Fable down to nothing but a diaper and was merrily frolicking in the fountain with her. Doug, if you're reading this, yes I outted you for frolicking.

See how much happier we all are when we keep it simple?


I was trying to convince her to run into the water, but she thought it wise to keep an eye on that thing.

See how I'm kiiind of trying to force her to go in there? I thought it would be funny if the fountain spurted up under her foot. Doug reminded me just then that she's about 20.5 pounds and the pressure of the fountain might just blow her away. I also thought that was kind of funny, but my sense of responsibility kicked in aaaaaand...

And there she goes! Off in the opposite direction! This game consisted of running up to the fountain, taunting it like a two-year-old is inclined to do, and running away gleefully.

So, that was our adventure. I can't say it compared to Pooh Bear's, though I'm sure his didn't end with him running about in a diaper. At least that's not the Pooh I grew up with, anyway. I thought it was a good way to spend the weekend. And if we didn't have a toddler, this *PROBABLY* wouldn't have happened!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's picture blog on a topic I haven't decided upon yet!


1 comment:

  1. Nikolay's first theater movie was a 45-minute IMAX film, (about BUGS, no less!) and he couldn't sit still for all of that, either. I believe he was two and a half. It's now almost a year later, and we're still holding off on a full-length feature.

    ReplyDelete

Followers